News

‘Yellowstone’ Tops Disc Sales for Third Week; ‘Godfather’ Tops Blu-ray Chart

Paramount Home Entertainment’s DVD and Blu-ray release of the fourth season of the hit cable series “Yellowstone” remained No. 1 the week ended March 26 on the NPD VideoScan First Alert chart, which tracks combined DVD and Blu-ray Disc unit sales.

It’s the third consecutive week in the top spot for “Yellowstone,” a drama from Academy Award-nominated filmmaker Taylor Sheridan and starring Kevin Costner as the head of a multi-generational family that controls the largest contiguous ranch in the United States.

However, with just 21% of its total unit sales on Blu-ray Disc, the “Yellowstone” season was only No. 6 on the Blu-ray Disc chart.

The good news for Paramount was that the top-selling Blu-ray for the week was another of the studio’s titles: The Godfather Trilogy boxed set re-released on 4K for the first time to commemorate the 50th anniversary of director Francis Ford Coppola’s 1972 original. Sales of new 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray set comprised 78% of total trilogy sales for the week, with 10% from regular Blu-ray and 12% from the legacy DVD (the set was re-released on Blu-ray as well, but not DVD). The Godfather Trilogy was No. 3 on the overall disc sales chart.

Maintaining its No. 2 position on the overall sales chart for a third week was Warner’s The Matrix Resurrections, which dropped to No. 2 on the Blu-ray chart after two weeks in the top spot there. It sold about 87% as many copies as the “Yellowstone” fourth-season disc.

Subscribe HERE to the FREE Media Play News Daily Newsletter!

Disney’s animated Encanto dropped to No. 4 on the overall sales chart but remained No. 3 on the Blu-ray Disc sales chart. Encanto won the Oscar for Best Animated Feature at the March 27 Academy Awards ceremony, after the weekly cutoff for this reporting period.

The No. 5 overall disc seller, and No. 10 on the Blu-ray Disc chart, was another TV show to disc release from Paramount — Dexter: New Blood. The limited series serves as a capper to the 2006-13 series about a serial killer who murders bad guys while working for the police. Dexter: New Blood had 29% of its total unit sales come from Blu-ray Disc.

The only other new release in the overall top 20 was Disney-owned Searchlight Pictures’ Nightmare Alley, which landed at No. 8 overall and No. 4 on the Blu-ray Disc chart. From director Guillermo del Toro, Nightmare Alley is a psychological thriller about a down-on-his-luck grifter (Bradley Cooper), based on the 1946 novel of the same name by William Lindsay Gresham. It had 45% of its sales come from 4K Ultra HD, and an additional 28% from regular Blu-ray, for a total of 73% from Blu-ray formats.

The No. 5 Blu-ray Disc, and No. 6 overall seller, was Sony Pictures’ Ghostbusters: Afterlife.

Follow us on Instagram!

The Media Play News rental chart for the week ended March 27 had the same top five as the previous week, with Matrix Resurrections in the top spot for a third time.

Sony Pictures’ Ghostbusters: Afterlife remained No. 2, followed by Universal and MGM’s House of Gucci at No. 3, Disney-owned 20th Century Studios’ The King’s Man at No. 4, and Lionsgate’s American Underdog remaining No. 5.

Top 20 Sellers for Week Ended 3-26-22
Top 20 Rentals for Week Ended 3-27-22
Top 20 Selling Blu-ray Discs for Week Ended 3-26-22
Top 20 Blu-ray Market Share for Week Ended 3-26-22
Sales Report for Week Ended 3-26-22
Digital Transactions Snapshot for Week Ended 3-28-22

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

2 + twelve =

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.