June 24, 2021
WarnerMedia June 24 announced its newest technology and operations hire, Suja Viswesan, as head of data, completing the company’s executive leadership team for the tech group.
Effective immediately, Viswesan will lead the data, product and analytics strategy across the company’s technology and operations organization. This includes architecting and building a scalable and highly-distributed data infrastructure, as well as managing and optimizing core data infrastructure. Based in San Francisco, she reports to Richard Tom, chief technology officer of WarnerMedia.
“Suja is the ideal leader to join our team as she not only has great experience that is deeply rooted in software development and big data, but she also brings with her a purposeful focus on building inclusive and global products and teams,” Tom said in a statement. “She will play a crucial role in how we apply data to build the best products and tools to deliver WarnerMedia’s content to millions of customers across the world, and I’m so excited that she’s here.”
Prior to joining WarnerMedia, Viswesan served as director of engineering at LinkedIn, where she led the big data applications and platform organization, and was responsible for the company’s data strategy, infrastructure and compliance. Her previous experience also includes leading a global team at IBM, where she supported the company’s global data and insights platform, as well as supported the development of the product management strategy.
“From VHS to DVDs to streaming, media has not only adopted and shaped bleeding-edge technology, but also has adapted to suit the demand of its audience,” Viswesan said in a statement.
Since joining WarnerMedia in June 2020, Tom has focused on revamping the company’s technology and operations structure, drawing on long-tenured leadership from across WarnerMedia’s existing businesses and importing external talent from top technology companies to its senior leadership team.
The technology and operations team is responsible for delivering the tech strategy, platform development and operations across the full scope of WarnerMedia’s portfolio of its linear, digital and streaming platforms. This includes the company’s data strategy, content delivery systems, master control operations, broadcast engineering, advertising technology and the technology platform for HBO Max, while also supporting the everyday underpinnings of the company and its global workforce.
In addition to Viswasen, the WarnerMedia technology and operations executive leadership team reporting to Tom includes:
- Bob Hesskamp, a longtime veteran with more than 25 years of experience with Turner and CNN, serves as EVP of production engineering.
- Patty Hirsch, a digital technology executive with past leadership roles at Warner Bros., Time Warner and CBS Interactive, is EVP of consumer digital platforms for the company’s entertainment, news and sports division.
- Ben John, an engineer and established technology leader with previous roles at AppNexus, Experian and Kaplan Test Prep, serves as chief technology officer of Xandr.
- Lonn Lee, who joined the company most recently from Facebook in November 2020, is SVP of product innovation, media supply chain and content operations.
- Jason Press, a former Comcast executive, joined WarnerMedia in 2019 and serves as EVP of direct-to-consumer technology and program management.
- Kevin Seng joined WarnerMedia in November 2020 from Snap, and serves as SVP of advertising technology.
- Kathy Styponias, a longtime HBO technology executive, is EVP of strategy and business operations.
- Mike Welch leads the Xandr business as EVP and GM, bringing 24 years of experience working in various roles throughout AT&T.
- Jeff Zeitz, a Warner Bros. executive for more than 25 years, serves as SVP of enterprise and workplace technology.