October 11, 2018
On the heels of AT&T’s odd corporate decision announcing — in an Oct. 10 regulatory filing by the CFO — the future (Q4 2019) launch of a subscription video-on-demand service, WarnerMedia subsidiary CEO John Stankey rushed out a follow-up statement with few additional details.
Stankey, who was in Los Angeles attending a media conference, said the unnamed and unpriced service would help WarnerMedia expand its reach by offering consumers a new distribution choice for HBO, Warner Bros. and Turner’s collection of films, television series, libraries, documentaries.
“We expect to create such a compelling product that it will help distributors increase consumer penetration of their current packages and help us successfully reach more customers,” Stankey said in the statement.
Speaking at the Vanity Fair New Establishment Summit, Stankey said the OTT video service would be different from existing products on the market.
“My job isn’t to build another Netflix,” he said.
As expected, the executive – who made news earlier this year when he challenged HBO to up its game – said the OTT venture would be spearheaded by HBO with Turner (CNN, TNT, TBS) and Warner Bros. content bundled in.
“Our job is to build a compelling offer of content that gets a large number of customers,” Stankey said.
That apparently includes creating original content for AT&T businesses that include DirecTV Now and pending AT&T Watch.
“We’ll do both within our business,” Stankey said.