May 4, 2021
Vizio May 4 added 10 lifestyle streaming channels to SmartCast, its connected smart-TV operating system. The free ad-supported VOD channels include PeopleTV, QVC, HSN, Jack Hanna, Love Nature, Real Wild, Fuse Sweat, Absolute History, Revry and Horse & Country.
To support a growing consumer shift to streaming — and mine incremental revenue opportunities from AVOD — Vizio has aggressively expanded its free ad-supported services and subscription streaming apps. Total viewing time on SmartCast increased 156% in 2020, reaching 11.6 billion hours of viewing time.
“With the launch of these additional lifestyle channels and apps, SmartCast viewers will be able to access even more content that aligns with their interests, their experiences, and their lives,” Katherine Pond, VP of business development for Vizio, said in a statement. “From entertainment news to nature and from travel to shopping and more, we’re committed to continually expanding our offering with diverse programming and content.”
The new channels can be found under the “Vizio Free Channels” section from the SmartCast Home screen and complement Irvine, Calif.-based Vizio’s WatchFree streaming service.
- PeopleTV — Combining the access of People magazine and Entertainment Weekly, this channel features the red carpet, royal news, celebrity weddings, among other reality TV news.
- QVC and HSN offer trademark livestream shopping, with curated, ever-changing collections of familiar brands and new products, from home and fashion to beauty, electronics, and jewelry.
- The Jack Hanna Channel features the adventures of the famous zookeeper. From his days in the 1970s transforming Columbus, Ohio’s city zoo into a worldwide destination that in 2019 attracted more than 2 million visitors, Hanna has built a wildlife franchise encompassing TV shows, such as “Jack Hanna’s Into the Wild,” “Jack Hanna’s Wild Countdown” and “Jack Hanna’s Animal Adventures,” which has been viewed in more than 60 countries.
- Love Nature is a wildlife and nature brand that brings audiences stories about the natural world that foster a deeper understanding of and connection to the planet Earth. A library of original series and documentaries are produced by natural history filmmakers around the globe. Programming highlights include “Wildlife Icons,” “Secrets of Wild Australia,” “Arabian Inferno,” “Shark Squad,” “Wild Wild East,” “Land of Gremlins,” and more.
- Real Wild is a wildlife and nature channel from Little Dot Studios. From rainforests to sparse deserts, from majestic birds to predatory sharks, Real Wild explores the wonders and dangers of nature.
- Fuse Sweat is home to catalog workout shows from nostalgic names like Richard Simmons and Jane Fonda, to fit-pros like Billy Blanks and Denise Austin.
- Absolute History is the home of fascinating and sometimes shocking stories from throughout history and the people that make history. The channel offers an immersive view of what life was like in the past and sheds new light on world history from the ancient civilizations to medieval Europe to the First and Second World Wars.
- Revry is the global streaming media network for the inclusive 21st century queer community. The channel offers viewers a curated selection of authentic LGBTQ films, series, originals and music.
- Horse & Country features equestrian sports, training and educational shows, entertainment, and documentaries. The programming lineup includes highlights from this year’s Carolina International 4, Master Classes with American Show Jumpers, Georgina Bloomberg and Laura Kraut, and documentary Victory Tour: America’s Top 4.