Mill Creek Entertainment will release a 20th anniversary Blu-ray Disc of the 2000 sci-fi movie Battlefield Earth Sept. 15.
Based on L. Ron Hubbard’s best-selling book, the story takes place in the year 3000 where Earth is ruled by a vicious alien race known as the Psychlos that have stripped the planet of its resources and eradicated most the human population. One of the few surviving humans, Jonnie Goodboy Tyler (Barry Pepper) is in pursuit of a better place to live, but is soon captured by a Psychlo slavemaster to join fellow “man-animals” in mining efforts. Jonnie eventually gains the attention of the evil Psychlo security officer Terl (John Travolta) and his assistant Ker (Forest Whitaker) who have discovered a vein of gold which they are unable to recover without the assistance of humans. While Terl attempts to makes Jonnie his personal slave, Jonnie uses his position to rally the other humans and unite in a plot to destroy the aliens and restore the human race to its former glory.
A notorious box office flop in its day, Battlefield Earth received seven Razzie Awards, including Worst Picture.
The new Blu-ray will include more than 70 minutes of new bonus interviews and featurettes, including:
- “Leverage: Writing the First Draft” — A new interview with screenwriter J.D. Shapiro;
- “Saga in the Year 2000: Directing Battlefield Earth” — A new interview with director Roger Christian;
- “Endangered Species: Scoring Battlefield Earth” — A new interview with composer Elia Cmiral;
- “Domes and Drones: Creating the Miniatures” — A new interview with model maker E. James Small;
- “Psychlo Circus: Designing Battlefield Earth” — New select scene commentary with production designer Patrick Tatopoulos.