Shout! Factory TV, the streaming service operated by independent home entertainment distributor Shout! Factory, on Aug. 9 will present a 24-hour marathon of Joe Dante’s 1978 cult classic Piranha and its 1995 remake starring Mila Kunis and Soleil Moon Frye. Fans can watch the films streamed all day and night long in a back-to-back format presentation that begins just past midnight.
Piranha, produced by Roger Corman, is the first in a series of campy ‘B’ movies inspired by 1975’s Jaws. While searching for missing teenagers at the once-thriving Lost River Lake resort, rookie skip-tracer Maggie McKeon (Heather Menzies) and booze-soaked river rat Paul Grogan (Bradford Dillman) stumble upon a top-secret military laboratory conducting genetic research on piranha fish for the purpose of developing the most lethal form of biological warfare imaginable.
When the deadly fish are accidentally released from the compound, they’re soon headed downstream, consuming everything — and anyone — in their path. With Paul and Maggie in hot pursuit, the piranhas’ next stop is the children’s summer camp, where Paul’s young daughter is vacationing, and then a newly opened, multimillion-dollar water resort.
The 1995 remake of the cult classic film was also produced by Roger Corman.
The “Piranhathon” can be viewed on ShoutFactoryTV.com; Shout! Factory TV’s Amazon Fire TV, Android, Apple TV, and Roku apps; and the following digital streaming platforms: IMDb TV, Local Now, Plex, Redbox, Samsung TV Plus, Sling TV, STIRR, Twitch, Vizio and XUMO. Both films are also available for streaming on demand across Shout! Factory TV platforms.
Shout! Factory TV, indie home entertainment distributor Shout! Factory’s streaming service, in August will stream “a daily double feature of fan-favorite ferocious fish flicks,” according to a July 31 announcement.
The marathon features cult classics such as Barracuda, Demon of Paradise
and Creature From the Haunted Sea
. It kicks off Sunday, Aug. 9, and continues daily through Saturday, Aug. 15, on the Shout! Factory TV live streaming channel
, Shout! Factory TV’s Roku, Amazon Fire, Apple TV and Android apps; and the following digital streaming platforms: Twitch, Samsung TV Plus, Comcast Xfinity, Xumo, Vizio, Redbox, IMDb TV and STIRR.
The complete schedule:
- Demon of Paradise — Fishing with dynamite in Hawaii drives a lizard-man out of the water to terrorize people.
- Elvira’s Movie Macabre: Monstroid — When a small Colombian village is viciously attacked by a creature from a nearby lake, a corrupt chemical company sends a specialist (Jim Mitchum) to destroy the beast and cover up their involvement with its creation.
- Devil Fish — When Dr. Stella Dickens concludes the recent string of grisly deaths and demolished boats can’t be the result of any known marine creature, she sets out to capture the beast, a genetically created bioweapon that must be kept secret … at any cost.
- The Blood Waters of Dr. Z — Seeking revenge against those responsible for stripping him of his tenure and the denial of human research subjects, Dr. Z mutates himself into a hideous half-human-half-fish-like creature!
- Piranha (1995) — A government tank containing genetically engineered piranha is unwittingly emptied into a river that flows past a resort area.
- Barracuda — A little coastal town is being terrorized by deadly barracudas.
- Killer Fish: Deadly Treasure of Piranha — Jewel thieves attempt to recover treasure from piranha infested waters.
- Lords of the Deep — America’s first self-contained undersea laboratory is the pride of the nation, and expectations are high for an elaborate undersea mining operation. What wasn’t expected was the inhabitants of an undiscovered world.
- Elvira’s Movie Macabre: Monstroid
- Creature from the Haunted Sea — A crook decides to bump off members of his inept crew and blame their deaths on a legendary sea creature. What he doesn’t know is that the creature is real.
- Piranhaconda — Two piranha/anaconda hybrid creatures hunt down the scientist who stole their egg and a film crew; making a slasher film in the jungle.
Terror Beneath the Sea — While covering a test of guided torpedoes, two reporters believe they saw what appeared to be a strange-looking swimming creature. They investigate the matter further and discover that there is a race of fish-men living under the sea. The fish-men capture the pair and keep them prisoner in their underwater city.
Sharktopus v. Pteracuda — An American scientist creates a half-pterodactyl, half-barracuda creature, Pteracuda, which inevitably escapes, leaving the Sharktopus to stop it.
Sharktopus v. Whalewolf — When a mad scientist mixes the genes of a killer whale and a wolf, it creates the Whalewolf, and it’s up to Sharktopus to stop it.
The films featured in Killer Fish Week are also available to watch on demand via Shout! Factory TV.