Comedy Central’s South Park: The Pandemic Special was the top new release on the weekly “Watched at Home” chart, coming in at No. 13 the week ended Oct. 3.
The standalone hourlong special, which satirizes society’s response to the coronavirus pandemic, aired Sept. 30 on Comedy Central and became available on HBO Max and other online sources the next day. The special is technically the start of the show’s 24th season, although additional episodes have not yet been scheduled.
The No. 1 title on the chart for a second consecutive week was Ava, a thriller from Vertical Entertainment that stars Jessica Chastain as an assassin. The movie is also available to rent on disc exclusively from Redbox. However, the Watched at Home chart, which tracks transactional video activity (both digital and on DVD and Blu-ray Disc) compiled from studio and retailer data through DEG: The Digital Entertainment Group, does not account for rental data.
The rest of the top 20 wasn’t much different from the previous week.
No. 2 was Lionsgate’s The Secret: Dare to Dream, which moved up one spot from the previous week.
The three seasons of Paramount’s drama series “Yellowstone” continued to occupy the top 10, with the third season at No. 3, the first season at No. 5, and the second season at No. 6.
No. 4 was Disney’s Hocus Pocus, climbing eight spots as Halloween-themed titles begin to assert themselves during October. Always a top seller around Halloween time, the 1993 film about three Salem witches who are resurrected in modern times was given a boost this year by a 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray re-release.
Likewise, Warner’s 1988 spooky comedy Beetlejuice returned to the list at No. 11 after a few weeks off the list, which it was on a few weeks ago after its own 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray release.
And Disney’s 1993 animated fantasy The Nightmare Before Christmas joined the list for the first time at No. 16.
- Ava (Vertical)
- The Secret: Dare to Dream (Lionsgate)
- Yellowstone: Season 3 (Paramount)
- Hocus Pocus (Disney)
- Yellowstone: Season 1 (Paramount)
- Yellowstone: Season 2 (Paramount)
- Alone (Magnolia)
- Harry Potter Complete 8-Film Collection (Warner)
- Rick and Morty: Season 4 (Warner)
- The Tax Collector (RLJ Entertainment)
- Beetlejuice (Warner)
- Trolls World Tour (Universal/DreamWorks)
- South Park: The Pandemic Special (Paramount/Comedy Central)
- Red Shoes and the Seven Dwarfs (Lionsgate)
- Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone (Warner)
- The Nightmare Before Christmas (Disney)
- Outlander: Season 5 (Sony Pictures)
- The King of Staten Island (Universal)
- The Silencing (Lionsgate)
- Sonic the Hedgehog (Paramount)
Source: DEG: The Digital Entertainment Group
Includes U.S. digital sales, digital rentals, and DVD, Blu-ray Disc and 4K Ultra HD sales for the week ended Oct. 3.