Legion M and Chicken Soup for the Soul Entertainment (CSS) have formed a strategic partnership to jointly source, develop and produce community-driven original content that gives entertainment fans a chance to potentially invest and receive equity in the projects.
“We’re looking forward to offering fans and viewers the opportunity to not only participate in the content they are watching, but invest and own a piece of it as well,” said Paul Scanlan, cofounder and CEO of Legion M.
The deal gives CSS (www.cssentertainment.com) exclusive rights to many series already in the works at Legion M (www.legionm.com), the world’s first fan-owned entertainment company, and will also see the companies working together on select new movies being distributed by CSS Entertainment’s Screen Media division.
CSS is focused on building a network of VOD channels. The company already produces and distributes content for major broadcast and streaming platforms worldwide, including season two of “Vacation Rental Potential,” season four of “Chicken Soup for the Soul’s Hidden Heroes,” and season one of “Going From Broke.” “Chicken Soup for the Soul’s Being Dad” is currently available on Netflix.
The first crowd-centric TV projects CSS and Legion M will develop together include:
- “POSITV” — A weekly collection of inspirational, uplifting and positive news, stories and real-life moments that are submitted by individuals from around the world, curated by the Legion M community.
- “Comedy Royale” — A sketch comedy show in which online viewers play the role of a production executive as up-and-coming creators, actors, comics and comedy troupes compete for cash, prizes and the opportunity to break into the industry.
- “Up$ide” — At-home viewers become venture capitalists as entrepreneurs pitch their business ideas on live television. The audience selects which companies they’ll invest in, receiving equity in return.
- “New York Rock Exchange” — Solo acts and bands perform on a weekly TV series that puts the audience in a record label’s executive seat. Participants compete for financial backing while viewers invest in their favorite act and receive equity in the winner’s first studio album and/or tour.
- “Legion M” — Creators, directors and dreamers pitch their TV or film concepts to an TV audience, who “green light” their favorite projects by investing in their productions. The newly minted fan-producers receive equity once a project reaches its minimum funding goals.
Additionally, Legion M and CSS will team up on multiple film projects to be released via Screen Media. Recent Screen Media releases include Elliot: The Littlest Reindeer, The Mercy and Bel Canto. Legion M has invested in a diverse slate of original film projects in various stages of development, including Mandy, Colossal and Bad Samaritan.