Arrow Films has acquired worldwide distribution rights to The Dead Center, and will release the supernatural thriller in theaters and 4K digital Oct. 11, followed by a Blu-ray and DVD release Oct. 14.
Written and directed by Billy Senese, and produced by and starring Shane Carruth, the creator of Primer and Upstream Color, The Dead Center is a tale of existential terror that explores the demons that live inside of all of us. The film features supporting performances from Jeremy Childs (“Preacher”) and Poorna Jagannathan (“Big Little Lies”).
Troubled psychiatrist Daniel Forrester (Carruth, Primer) is drawn to help a mysterious patient who is brought to the emergency psych ward in a catatonic state with no memory of how he reached the hospital. As if to exorcise his own demons, the doctor feverishly tries to break through to his mysterious patient. But as a spate of mysterious deaths shake the ward to its core, Forrester comes to suspect that there is more to his new ward than meets the eye. As he comes to realize what he’s unleashed, a desperate race against the forces of evil threatens to swallow him whole.
Blu-ray bonus material includes:
- Commentary with Senese, Carruth and Childs;
- Commentary with Senese, producers Denis Deck and Jonathan Rogers, and cinematographer Andy Duensing;
- “A Walk Through The Dead Center,” an in-depth making-of documentary featuring new interviews with Senese, Carruth, Duensing, and many others revisiting the locations and discussing the production;
- Nine deleted scenes, including an alternate ending;
- On-set interviews with Carruth and Jagannathan;
- “Head-Casting with Jeremy Childs,” a brief look at the creation of the makeup effects seen in the climax of the film;
- Intruder, a short film from 2011 directed by Senese and starring Childs;
- The Suicide Tapes, the original short film from 2010 directed by Senese and starring Childs, that later inspired The Dead Center;
- “Midnight Radio Theater,” six chilling radio plays (“Insomnia”, “The Long Weekend”, “Disposable Life”, “The Suicide Tapes”, “The Woman In The Basement”, “Blood Oath”, “Flu”) written, produced and directed by Senese;
- Theatrical trailer and teasers;
- Image gallery
- Reversible sleeve featuring new and original artwork;
- The first pressing will include an illustrated collectors’ booklet featuring new writing on the film by Jamie Graham.