Cats, the film adaptation of the hit Broadway show, will come out on digital March 17 and Blu-ray and DVD April 7 from Universal Pictures Home Entertainment.
Director Tom Hooper reimagines Andrew Lloyd Webber’s musical in the film starring James Corden, Judi Dench, Jason Derulo, Idris Elba, Jennifer Hudson, Ian McKellen, Taylor Swift, Rebel Wilson and introducing Royal Ballet principal Francesca Hayward. The film also includes a cast of dancers showcasing styles from classical ballet to contemporary, hip-hop to jazz, street dance to tap.
The story follows a tribe of cats called the Jellicles that must decide yearly which one will ascend to the Heaviside Layer and come back to a new Jellicle Life.
The film made $71.9 million at the global box office.
Special features include:
- “Making Music,” in which the stars of Catswill talk about Andrew Lloyd Webber, who conceived the musical almost 40 years ago, and how his music has stood the test of time;
- “Singing Live,” in which talent and filmmakers explore what it was like to sing, dance, and act for live performance in front of the camera;
- “Cat School,” a step behind the scenes to watch as the cast speak about their experiences learning how to move and embody their roles as felines;
- “Making Macavity,” in which viewers navigate through an immersive 360º video as the conniving cat duo, Idris Elba and Taylor Swift, master the iconic “Macavity” musical number;
- “9 Lives: The Cast of Cats,” following the cast on set among the worlds that the filmmakers brought to life at Leavesden Studios;
- “The Dancers,” a featurette about the dancers in the filmwith host “Frankie” Hayward of the London Royal Ballet;
- “The Art of Dance,” about choreographer Andy Blankenbuehler work on the film;
- “Scaling Up,” about how the film is scaled 2.5 times to that of the human perspective;
- “A Director’s Journey,” with cast and crew talking about Hooper; and
- “A Little Magic.”
Subscribe HERE to the FREE Media Play News Daily Newsletter!