New consumer research from Leichtman Research Group found that 85% of U.S. households get an Internet service at home, compared with 84% in 2014 and 80% in 2009.
Broadband accounts for 96% of households with an Internet service at home, and 82% of all households get a broadband Internet service — an increase from 79% in 2014 and 71% in 2009.
In addition, 81% of adults access the Internet on a smartphone (and an additional 1% access the Internet on another type of mobile phone), up from 63% in 2014. Overall, 75% of households now get Internet service both at home and on a mobile phone, an increase from 59% in 2014.
“This year’s study demonstrates a growing reliance on broadband Internet services in the home, with an increase in the time spent online at home, including the frequency of watching Internet-delivered video,” analyst Bruce Leichtman said in a statement. “It is most common for home Internet service to be complemented by Internet service on a mobile phone. Three-quarters of households now get Internet service both at home and on a mobile phone, while the segment opting to solely access the Internet on a mobile phone has plateaued.”
These findings are based on a telephone survey of 1,121 households from throughout the United States. This is LRG’s seventeenth annual study on this topic.
Other related findings include:
- 10% of households only get Internet service at home – compared to 25% in 2014.
- 50% not online at home access the Internet on a mobile phone (and an additional 2% access the Internet on another type of mobile phone), representing 8% overall.
- 86% of households use at least one laptop or desktop computer — 93% of this group get an Internet service at home.
- 54% of those not online at home do not use a laptop or desktop at home
- 50% with an Internet service at home watch video online daily — compared with 29% in 2014, and 16% in 2009.
Among adults with an Internet service at home, the mean time spent online at home is 3.7 hours per day — up from 2.8 hours per day in 2014, and 2.2 hours per day in 2009.