Warner Bros. Home Entertainment’s Godzilla: King of the Monsters debuted at No. 1 on the NPD VideoScan First Alert chart, which tracks DVD and Blu-ray Disc unit sales, and the dedicated Blu-ray Disc sales chart the week ended Aug. 31.
The sequel to 2014’s Godzilla, which was a reboot of the classic Japanese monster franchise, earned $110.5 million at the domestic box office, and sets up next year’s Godzilla vs. Kong.
Another new release, Universal Pictures’ The Secret Life of Pets 2 debuted at No. 2 on both charts. The animated sequel earned $158.1 million in U.S. theaters. Overall, it sold about 76% as many copies as Godzilla: King of the Monsters.
Marvel’s Avengers: Endgame, distributed by Disney, dropped to No. 3 on both charts after two weeks in the top spot.
No. 4 on both charts went to another newcomer, Paramount’s Rocketman. The Elton John biopic earned $96.4 million at the domestic box office.
Warner’s Pokémon Detective Pikachu dropped to No. 5 on both charts after taking the second spot the previous weeks.
Lionsgate’s new Apocalypse Now: Final Cut 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray re-release was No. 10 on the overall chart, and No. 6 on the Blu-ray chart.
Blu-ray Disc formats accounted for 67% of first-week Godzilla: King of the Monsters sales; 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray comprised 18% of total sales, while 3D Blu-ray made up 1%.
The Secret Life of Pets 2 had 58% of its total sales from Blu-ray, with 6% of its total sales from 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray, while Rocketman had 64% Blu-ray sales, 13% from 4K.
On the Media Play News rental chart for the week ended Sept. 1, Godzilla: King of the Monsters also debuted at No. 1, with Secret Life of Pets 2 at No. 2.
Universal’s The Hustle dropped a spot to No. 3, while Rocketman debuted at No. 4 and Avengers: Endgame slid to No. 5 after spending the previous week on top.
Top 20 Sellers for Week Ended 8-31-19
Top 20 Rentals for Week Ended 9-1-19
Top 20 Selling Blu-ray Discs for Week Ended 8-31-19
Top 20 Blu-ray Market Share for Week Ended 8-31-19
Sales Report for Week Ended 8-31-19
Digital Sales Snapshot for Week Ended 9-2-19