The Walt Disney Co. March 21 confirmed it is delaying the previously planned March 24 launch of Disney+ subscription streaming video service in France to April 7. The SVOD service will bow as scheduled in other European countries on March 24.
The move came after the CEO of French telecom Orange — one of the country’s largest ISPs — suggested Disney delay the launch. The company is also joining Netflix, Amazon, YouTube reducing streaming speeds 25% to limit the service’s impact on local and national high-speed networks.
In France, deaths related to the virus have risen to 562, according to the French Health Ministry. There are more than 14,400 infections, with 6,172 in hospitals and 1,525 of them in intensive care.
“In line with Disney’s longstanding commitment to act responsibly, we are responding to the request of European Commissioner for Internal Market Thierry Breton to work together to ensure the smooth functioning of the broadband infrastructure,” Kevin Mayer, chairman of Direct-to-Consumer & International at Disney, said in a statement. “In anticipation of high consumer demand for Disney+, we are proactively instituting measures to lower our overall bandwidth utilization by at least 25% in all of the markets launching Disney+ on March 24.”
Breton earlier in the week had called on streaming platforms, telecom operators and Internet users having a joint responsibility during the pandemic that has infected more than 300,000 people globally and 13,000 deaths.
“[We need] to take steps to ensure the smooth functioning of the Internet during the battle against the virus propagation,” Breton said.