CBS and Paramount Home Entertainment April 25 will release Star Trek: Lower Decks — Season 3 on DVD. However, unlike the first two seasons that received a wide Blu-ray Disc release, the Blu-ray for the third season will apparently only be available as a manufacture-on-demand (MOD) release from online retailers. The season will also be available for digital purchase.
The animated series takes a satirical look at “Star Trek” through the adventures of the crew of the U.S.S. Cerritos, a starship that specializes in “second contact” and cleaning up after the missions of more-famous ships. The voice cast includes Tawny Newsome, Jack Quaid, Noël Wells, Eugene Cordero, Dawn Lewis, Jerry O’Connell, Fred Tatasciore and Gillian Vigman. Streaming service Paramount+ has renewed the series for a fourth season.
Subscribe HERE to the FREE Media Play News Daily Newsletter!
The 10 episodes of the third season wrap up the cliffhanger from season two and other lingering plot threads while also revisiting some locales from previous “Star Trek” series, including an episode set on board the space station from “Star Trek: Deep Space Nine” with guest appearances by Nana Visitor as Kira and Armin Shimerman as Quark.
Extras on the two-disc set include the featurettes “Docking at Deep Space 9” and “Lower Decktionary: Season 3,” plus five episode commentaries:
- Episode 3-01: series creator Mike McMahan with Newsome and Jonathan Frakes (Riker on “Star Trek: The Next Generation”);
- Episode 3-06: McMahon with Newsome, Quaid, Wells, Cordero, Visitor and Shimerman;
- Episode 3-07: McMahan with animator Barry Kelly and guest actress Kether Donohue;
- Episode 3-09: McMahan, Newsome, Wells, Quaid and O’Connell;
- Episode 3-10: Quaid, Lewis and Tatasciore.