March 2, 2021
CBS and Paramount Home Entertainment May 18 will release Star Trek: Lower Decks — Season One on Blu-ray Disc and DVD, as well as a limited-edition Blu-ray Steelbook.
The animated comedy series, which debuted on CBS All Access last year and will continue on Paramount+, chronicles the adventures of the U.S.S. Cerritos in the year 2380, with a focus on the crew members who usually do the dirty work.
Created by two-time Emmy Award winner Mike McMahan (“Rick and Morty,” “Solar Opposites”), “Lower Decks” features the voices of Tawny Newsome as Ensign Beckett Mariner, Jack Quaid as Ensign Brad Boimler, Eugene Cordero as Ensign Samanthan Rutherford, Noël Wells as Ensign D’Vana Tendi, Dawnn Lewis as Capt. Carol Freeman, Jerry O’Connell as Cmdr. Jack Random, Fred Tatasciore as Lt. Shaxs, and Gillian Vigman as Dr. T’Ana.
The Blu-ray and DVD offer all 10 half-hour episodes, plus nearly two hours of exclusive special features, including:
- “Faces of the Fleet” featurette, a deep dive into the crew of the U.S.S. Cerritos , alongside producers, writers and the cast of “Star Trek: Lower Decks,” highlighting character backstories and their behind-the-scenes development;
- “Hiding in Plain Sight” featurette, a look at canon and hidden Easter eggs throughout the series, including freeze frame images and insightful commentary from producers, creatives and cast;
- Trailer for Crisis Point: The Rise of Vindicta, the holodeck movie from the episode “Crisis Point”;
- A Full-Length Animatic;
- Deleted and extended animatics;
- “Lower Decktionary,” a series of featurettes covering each episode, such as:
○ “Joining Starfleet” (episode 1) — Producers and crew discuss the development of season one from storyline to visual artistry;
○ “Aliens Among Us” (episode 2) — Dives into the different aliens encountered on the journey to the Tulgana 4 planet;
○ “The Animation Process” (episode 3) — A look at the efficiency and creativity needed to put together an episode of “Lower Decks”;
○ “The Main Titles” (episode 4) — A look at the graphic design and thematic music developed for the show through the lens of creating title sequence;
○ “Art Design” (episode 5) — A look at characters’ style and the sets that elevate the animated on-screen adventures of the U.S.S. Cerritos;
○ “The Holodeck” (episode 6) — The cast and creative team discuss uses for the holodeck, which can simulate nearly any environment or situation;
○ “Division 14” (episode 7) — A look at the Starfleet branch tasked with dealing with the unexpected mishaps that plague starship crews.
○ “Deck Dynamics” (episode 8) — A dive into how the relationship between the upper and lower decks an their comedic interactions contribute to the storyline throughout season one;
○ “The Music of Lower Decks” (episode 9) — An exploration about how traditional themes have been integrated into the show and the episode’s in-story “Crisis Point” movie;
○ “All in the Family” (episode 10) — A look at evolution of the crew and their relationships over the show’s first year, and how “Lower Decks” fits into the “Star Trek” family as a few legacy characters appear.