May 25, 2021
Sling TV has launched a new app in beta that features a personalized discovery engine and new interface features.
The new app is available to select customers using Amazon Fire TV devices and will continue rolling out across all Sling TV compatible devices throughout the year, including availability on Roku devices this summer.
“Our goal with the new app is clear: to make our customer experience as compelling as the extraordinary live content we deliver,” Michael Schwimmer, group president of Sling TV, said in a statement. “After a year of talking to customers and working with our design and advanced engineering teams, we’re happy to roll out the new Sling TV app to deliver the best in live sports, news and entertainment, at the same unbeatable low price point. Sling TV has always been a leader in the industry known for innovation and value. With our new app, customers will know Sling TV as a first-class streaming experience.”
The new design is the most comprehensive update in Sling TV’s history, according to the service. Key changes include:
- A new home screen with a new section that spotlights movies and shows chosen specifically for the user;
- A reimagined guide, making it easier to mark favorite channels, filter and A-Z sort the guide order, quickly record a show and explore channel details;
- A new, dedicated DVR tab that allows users to easily watch and manage all recorded content in one place;
- The ability to pause, rewind, fast-forward and record live TV, and jump between recently watched channels without missing a moment;
- A new, streamlined navigation on the left that makes it easier to discover content and allow users to quickly see on-demand content or browse recordings;
- A new Smart Search feature that narrows down the options, allows users to find previous searches with just one click and instantly shows results as users type; and
- Enhanced discovery and navigation tools for the service’s 150,000-plus on-demand TV shows, movies and more.
“When we began the process of reimagining the app, we started with the customer. After immense testing and direct feedback across our customer base, we’ve developed a design that gives the user an effortless experience,” Jon Lin, VP of product for Sling TV, said in a statement. “If a streaming app is done right, it should be practically invisible, allowing the user to get to the most relevant content quickly and easily — the new SLING TV experience does just that.”
In addition, the home screen spotlights a mix of personalized recommendations and editorial curation, the dedicated DVR tab has a trash bin making it easy to delete and manage storage capacity, and the reimagined guide allows users to expand program view to get more details without a single click.
For a limited time, new and returning customers can take advantage of a discount offer — $10 for their first month of Sling TV and 200 hours of free DVR Plus (a $30 discount).
For more information, visit sling.com/newapp.