August 5, 2021
Horror masters George Romero and Dario Argento direct a pair of shockers inspired by the tales of Edgar Allan Poe in the two-disc set Two Evil Eyes, available on 4K Ultra HD Aug. 24 from Blue Underground and MVD Entertainment Group.
In Romero’s The Facts in the Case of Mr. Valdemar, a conniving wife (Adrienne Barbeau, The Fog) and her lover use a hypnotic trance to embezzle a fortune from her dying husband, only to receive some chilling surprises from beyond the grave. In Argento’s The Black Cat, a deranged crime scene photographer (Harvey Keitel, From Dusk Till Dawn) is driven to brutal acts of madness and murder by his girlfriend’s new pet.
Martin Balsam (Psycho), E.G. Marshall (Creepshow), John Amos (The Beastmaster) and Tom Atkins (Night of the Creeps) co-star in this horror duo that also features makeup effects by Tom Savini (Maniac).
Blue Underground scanned Two Evil Eyes in 4K 16-bit from the original camera negative. The release features Dolby Vision HDR and a new Dolby Atmos audio mix.
- audio commentary with Troy Howarth, author of Murder By Design: The Unsane Cinema of Dario Argento;
- the theatrical trailer;
- a poster and still gallery;
- “Two Masters’ Eyes,” featuring interviews with Argento and Romero, Savini, executive producer Claudio Argento and Asia Argento;
- “Savini’s EFX,” a behind-the-scenes look at the film’s special make-up effects;
- “At Home With Tom Savini,” a personal tour of Savini’s home;
- Adrienne Barbeau on Romero;
- “Before I Wake,” an interview with star Ramy Zada;
- “Behind the Wall,” an interview with star Madeleine Potter;
- “One Maestro and Two Masters,” an interview with composer Pino Donaggio;
- “Rewriting Poe,” an interview with co-writer Franco Ferrini;
- “The Cat Who Wouldn’t Die,” an interview with assistant director Luigi Cozzi;
- “Two Evil Brothers,” an interview with special make-up assistant Everett Burrell; and
- “Working With George,” an interview with costume designer Barbara Anderson.