July 7, 2021
A new app called Picticular promises to help movie fans easily and conveniently find films currently streaming on all platforms as well as upcoming releases. The app also offers recommendations and, in the future, will allow movie ticket sales.
Similarly to a dating app, users can either swipe right or left to accept or reject film choices as suggested by the app’s proprietary AI technology.
Conceived in 2018 and co-founded by serial entrepreneur Todd Courtney, pioneering Google senior executive Marcel Van Lohuizen and former iHeartMedia executive Lasse Hamre, Picticular says its advantage is its laser focus on films and how to easily access them — either on a streaming platform for immediate viewing or for marketing purposes for a new film.
“We’re all film enthusiasts and there were countless times when I just gave up on my search for a film,” Courtney said. “There had to be a better and more convenient way to access films, particularly with the growing universe of streaming platforms. With Picticular, the fun of discovery begins while the frustration ends.”
Beyond the ability to easily find films on streaming platforms, Picticular also offers:
- Immediate accessibility of content: Users can click on films in the app and can immediately begin viewing the film on the streaming platform’s app;
- Friend matching: App allows friends to privately share selections with each other;
- Ticket purchasing: Moviegoers can soon purchase theater tickets directly from the app;
- Entertainment news: Movie fans will receive celebrity and entertainment news updates;
- Recommendations: With proprietary AI technology, the app will provide film suggestions to the user, based on previous selections.
Picticular also has established relationships with Hollywood. Most recently, Saban Films, which releases around 30 films per year through Paramount or Lionsgate, has been using the app since last December. For the Mel Gibson film Fatman, Picticular captured comprehensive user data and the trailer had nearly two million views.
“As a studio executive, the benefits are significant,” said Jonathan Saba, SVP of distribution and marketing for Saban Films. “For example, Picticular’s private swiping feed ensures an impulsive decision around each film that ultimately provides us with invaluable data. The app allows for full visibility of past or current films with a critical monetization model and branding opportunities.”