December 10, 2020
Warner Bros. Home Entertainment’s The Lord of the Rings Trilogy climbed to No. 1 the weekly “Watched at Home” chart the week ended Dec. 5. It had been No. 14 the week before.
A new 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray boxed set of the theatrical and extended cuts of the three fantasy films (just the 4K discs, not regular Blu-rays, plus digital copies) arrived in stores Dec. 1.
Similarly, the 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray set of The Hobbit Trilogy also became available, boosting the “Lord of the Rings” prequels to No. 7 on the chart that tracks transactional video activity (both digital and on DVD and Blu-ray Disc, but not premium VOD or disc rental) compiled from studio and retailer data through DEG: The Digital Entertainment Group.
Moving up three spots to No. 2 was the eight-film “Harry Potter” collection, also from Warner.
Warner’s Elf, the 2003 film starring Will Ferrell as a man returning to society after being raised at Santa’s workshop, moved up a spot to No. 3, while Warner holiday title, National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation, dropped two spots to No. 5.
The previous week’s top title, the Russell Crowe thriller Unhinged, slid to No. 4.
- The Lord of the Rings Trilogy (Warner)
- Harry Potter Complete 8-Film Collection (Warner)
- Elf (Warner)
- Unhinged (Lionsgate)
- National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation (Warner)
- The Office: The Complete Series (Universal)
- The Hobbit Trilogy (Warner)
- The New Mutants (Disney/20th Century)
- Fatman (Paramount)
- The Grinch (Universal)
- Home Alone (20th Century)
- Friends: The Complete Series (Warner)
- The Polar Express (Warner)
- Yellowstone: Season 1 (Paramount)
- Game of Thrones: The Complete Series (Warner/HBO)
- Yellowstone: Season 3 (Paramount)
- Yellowstone: Season 2 (Paramount)
- The Undoing: Season 1 (Warner/HBO)
- A Christmas Story (Warner)
- Iron Mask (Lionsgate)
Source: DEG: The Digital Entertainment Group
Includes U.S. digital sales, digital rentals, and DVD, Blu-ray Disc and 4K Ultra HD sales for the week ended Dec. 5.