‘Hocus Pocus’ Conjures Up No. 1 Spot on Disc Sales Charts

Disney’s perennial Halloween best-seller Hocus Pocus jumped to the top of the NPD VideoScan First Alert chart, which tracks combined DVD and Blu-ray Disc unit sales, and the dedicated Blu-ray Disc sales chart the week ended Oct. 3.

The 1993 film about three Salem witches transported to modern times frequently finishes in the top five during October, but this year received a boost from a new 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray edition. It had been the No. 2 overall seller the previous week. The new 4K disc accounted for 8% of the title’s total unit sales, while the regular Blu-ray made up 19%, meaning Blu-ray accounted for 27% of total Hocus Pocus sales.

A sequel for streaming service Disney+ is reportedly in development.

The previous week’s top seller, Warner’s Rick and Morty: Season Four, slipped to No. 2 on both charts.

Another catalog title with a recent 4K release, Warner’s Beetlejuice, was No. 3 on the overall chart and No. 4 on the Blu-ray chart. The spooky comedy took its on turn in the top spot a few weeks ago.

Continuing the trend of Halloween catalog popping into the top 20, the No. 4 overall title was Disney’s The Nightmare Before Christmas, which was No. 20 on the Blu-ray chart.

Subscribe HERE to the FREE Media Play News Daily Newsletter!

Other October favorites and frightfests making their way onto the chart included No. 5 It: Chapter Two, from Warner, Disney’s Halloweentown/Halloweentown II double feature at No. 7, the 1978 Halloween from Lionsate at No. 9, the 2018 Halloween from Universal at No. 10, Universal’s 2019 animated The Addams Family at No. 15, and Warner’s The Curse of La Llorona at No. 19.

Of note, the 1978 Halloween was No. 5 on the Blu-ray chart, while 45% of its overall units sales were of the 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray. Best Buy released an exclusive 4K Steelbook of the horror classic Sept. 29.

Rounding out the top five overall was Lionsgate’s The Secret: Dare to Dream, which was No. 7 on the Blu-ray chart.

The No. 3 Blu-ray seller was Paramount’s Sonic the Hedgehog, which was No. 11 overall.

Follow us on Instagram!

On the Media Play News rental chart for the week ended Oct. 4, the Redbox-exclusive Ava moved up a spot to No. 1. Lionsgate’s The Silencing debuted at No. 2.

The previous week’s top rental, The Secret: Dare to Dream, dropped to No. 3.

Shout! Factory’s True Story of the Kelly Gang entered the rental chart at No. 4, while Universal’s Welcome to Sudden Death was No. 5.

Top 20 Sellers for Week Ended 10-3-20
Top 20 Rentals for Week Ended 10-4-20
Top 20 Selling Blu-ray Discs for Week Ended 10-3-20
Top 20 Blu-ray Market Share for Week Ended 10-3-20
Sales Report for Week Ended 10-3-20
Digital Sales Snapshot for Week Ended 10-5-20

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

4 + 12 =

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.