August 8, 2022
HBO Max announced it has completed the rollout of a new user experience on desktop, iOS and Android mobile devices, and Amazon Fire tablets, where available globally.
The new app delivers “highly requested new features from HBO Max fans and marks the conclusion of moving all HBO Max apps to a new, more performant tech stack, a process that started with replacing connected TV applications in September,” according to HBO Max.
New features available in the updated HBO Max mobile and desktop application include:
- shuffle button functionality expansion to mobile devices, a feature — previously only available on the desktop and CTV experiences — that gives users the ability to randomize the first episode that plays for select series on the platform;
- SharePlay support for iPhone and iPad users (U.S. only), whereby subscribers in the United States with an ad-free plan and an iPhone or iPad can now use SharePlay to watch HBO Max programs in sync with friends and family while on a FaceTime call;
- a dedicated home for downloaded content with improved performance and stability;
- tablet support for both landscape and portrait orientations;
- an enhanced screen reader experience with improved navigation elements and functionality;
- the ability to split screens with other apps on any behavior-supported mobile device;
- updated, intuitive navigation;
- new design and visual styling; and
- Chromecast stability improvements.
“We are delighted to introduce the revamped HBO Max mobile and desktop apps,” Kamyar Keshmiri, SVP or product design, Warner Bros. Discovery Streaming, said in a statement. “The changes give our users more of the features they care most about, along with improved navigation and a more immersive canvas for storytelling, helping them click play on their favorite content faster and with less friction.”