December 10, 2018
Universal Pictures Home Entertainment will release First Man through digital retailers Jan. 8, and on Blu-ray, DVD and 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Jan. 22.
The drama from director Damien Chazelle focuses on the life of astronaut Neil Armstrong (Ryan Gosling) in the decade leading up to the Apollo 11 mission and his iconic status as the first man to walk on the Moon. The cast includes Claire Foy, Kyle Chandler, Jason Clarke, Corey Stoll, Pablo Schreiber, Christopher Abbot and Ciarán Hinds.
First Man earned $44.8 million at the domestic box office and has been nominated for two Golden Globes: Best Supporting Actress for Foy as Armstrong’s wife, and Best Original Score by Justin Hurwitz.
Disc and digital extras include deleted scenes; commentary with Chazelle, screenwriter Josh Singer and editor Tom Cross; and several behind-the-scenes featurettes:
- “Shooting for the Moon,” a look at the production and the collaborative relationship between Chazelle and Gosling;
- “Preparing to Launch,” about making the first major feature film to focus on Apollo 11;
- “Giant Leap in One Small Step,” focusing on the hard working individuals that got us to the moon and back;
- “Mission Gone Wrong,” in which Ryan Gosling reenacts a test piloting sequence gone terribly wrong;
- “Putting You In the Seat,” a look at the technology used to put audiences in the middle of the action;
- “Recreating the Moon Landing,” about using Imax cameras to create the legendary moment;
- “Shooting at NASA,” in which Gosling and Chazelle discuss bringing authenticity to the film;
- “Astronaut Training,” showcasing a three-day boot camp for the actors before filming.
The 4K Ultra HD disc will include the same bonus features as the Blu-ray version, all in 4K resolution.