June 14, 2022
Universal Pictures Home Entertainment will release Downton Abbey: A New Era for streaming on Peacock and digital purchase starting June 24, and on Blu-ray Disc, DVD and 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray July 5.
The second film based on the popular PBS period drama, and a sequel to the 2019 “Downton Abbey” movie, A New Era follows the Crawleys and their staff as they welcome a movie crew and their glamorous stars to Downton for the filming of a new silent movie, while other members of the family go on a grand adventure to a villa in the south of France to uncover a mystery about the Dowager Countess and her past.
Written by series creator Julian Fellowes and directed by Simon Curtis, Downton Abbey: A New Era earned $40 million at the domestic box office.
Extras include commentary with Curtis and several featurettes:
- “Good To Be Back” — The cast discusses returning to their roles and their characters’ continuing story arcs.
- “Return to ‘Downton Abbey’: The Making of A New Era” — An in-depth look at the making of the film and the contributions from each department.
- “A Legendary Character” — A look back at the legendary character that is the Dowager Countess of Grantham played by Maggie Smith.
- “Creating the Film Within The Film” — A deep dive into the making of the film within the film, highlighting the extra research and details that were taken into consideration, from set design and vehicles to the plethora of period-accurate film equipment and props.
- “Her Majesty’s Yacht Britannia” — A look at the history behind the queen’s royal yacht, and why it was a perfect vessel to play the cross-channel ferry in the film.
- “Spill The Tea (Time)” — A sitdown with Allen Leech (Tom Branson) and Laura Carmichael (Lady Edith) as they spill all the details of what life on the set of Downton Abbey: A New Era was really like.
The film will also be available as a Blu-ray/DVD combo gift set with digital code and exclusive packaging containing vintage-style postcards, a photo book and a collectible “Downton Abbey” branded stainless steel tea strainer with a velvet bag.