‘Doctor Strange 2,’ ‘Lost City’ Debut Atop Disc Sales Charts

‘Doctor Strange 2,’ ‘Lost City’ Debut Atop Disc Sales Charts

When there aren’t many notable DVD and Blu-ray releases for a few weeks, it doesn’t take much for big newcomers to take over the national sales charts.

The week ended July 30 saw a few such titles dominate the NPD VideoScan First Alert chart, which tracks combined DVD and Blu-ray Disc unit sales, and the dedicated Blu-ray Disc sales chart.

At No. 1 on both charts was Disney-owned Marvel Studios’ Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness, a sequel to 2016’s Doctor Strange and the 28th film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe canon. The movie finds Benedict Cumberbatch reprising his role as the master of the mystic arts, now tasked with preventing a malevolent force from capturing a young girl who has the power to travel between the realms of the multiverse. It earned $411 million at the domestic box office.

No. 2 on both charts, selling 58% as many copies as the top seller, was Paramount’s The Lost City, a romantic comedy adventure movie starring Sandra Bullock as a novelist who is kidnapped by an eccentric billionaire (Daniel Radcliffe) who wants her help finding a treasure described in her book, prompting her dimwitted cover model (Channing Tatum) to hatch a rescue plan. It earned $105 million at the domestic box office.

Subscribe HERE to the FREE Media Play News Daily Newsletter!

Another July 26 disc release, Warner’s Green Lantern: Beware My Power, debuted at No. 4 on the overall disc sales chart at about 15% of the top title. It was No. 3 on the Blu-ray chart. The direct-to-video release is the latest animated film based on DC Comics characters.

Blu-ray Disc formats accounted for 72% of total Doctor Strange unit sales, with 36% regular Blu-ray and 36% 4K Ultra HD. For Lost City, it was 34% regular Blu-ray and 9% 4K for a total of 43% in HD. Green Lantern had 56% of its sales from HD formats, with 44% regular Blu-ray and 12% 4K.

Those were the only new releases for the week to crack the top 50 overall sellers.

The top seller for three of the previous four weeks, Warner’s Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore, slid to No. 3 on the overall chart and No. 4 on the Blu-ray Disc chart.

Follow us on Instagram!

The Media Play News rental chart the week ended July 31 had Lost City in the top spot.

The Redbox-exclusive Vertical Entertainment thriller Last Seen Alive slipped to No. 2, Universal Pictures’ The Bad Guys remained No. 3, Universal’s Memory slipped to No. 4, and Sony Pictures’ Morbius was No. 5.

Top 20 Sellers for Week Ended 7-30-22
Top 20 Rentals for Week Ended 7-31-22
Top 20 Selling Blu-ray Discs for Week Ended 7-30-22
Top 20 Blu-ray Market Share for Week Ended 7-30-22
Sales Report for Week Ended 7-30-22
Digital Transactions Snapshot for Week Ended 8-1-22


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

eighteen − 17 =

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.