October 11, 2018
For its 40th Anniversary, MVD Entertainment Group and Blue Underground will release Zombie on Blu-ray Nov. 27.
The release comes with a new 4K Restoration from the original uncut and uncensored camera negative.
It marks a new distribution partnership between the companies.
“Blue Underground’s move to MVD was driven by a need for a full-service distributor,” said William Lustig, president of Blue Underground, in a statement. “MVD’s knowledgeable and experienced sales team is enthusiastic regarding the cult classic collector’s editions my company produces.”
“We’re thrilled to be working with Blue Underground,” said Eric D. Wilkinson, director of home video sales and acquisitions at MVD, in a statement. “Bill Lustig is not only a legendary director of some of the greatest genre films of all time, but also a master curator and preservationist of cult movies. The combination of this amazing content with the MVD sales team is a perfect match and we are looking forward to bringing these films to our retail partners and collectors alike (and now I can finally get my copy of Maniac autographed).”
“It is an honor to be working with Bill and Greg, and the caliber of films they bring to the world,” said Ed Seaman, COO of MVD, in a statement. “We further cement our commitment to physical goods distribution by now representing Blue Underground’s top quality, beautifully packaged repertoire.”
The zombie film, in Italy considered the unofficial sequel to Dawn of the Dead, stars Tisa Farrow, Ian McCulloch, Al Cliver and Richard Johnson and is directed by Lucio Fulci.
The two-Blu-ray release also includes the original motion picture soundtrack CD by Fabio Frizzi (with an exclusive bonus track). Other features include:
- a new audio commentary with Troy Howarth, author of Splintered Visions: Lucio Fulci and His Films;
- an audio commentary with McCulloch and Diabolik Magazine Editor Jason J. Slater;
- a new featurette, “When The Earth Spits Out The Dead,” an interview with Stephen Thrower, author of Beyond Terror: The Films of Lucio Fulci;
- theatrical Trailers;
- TV Spots;
- radio spots;
- a poster and still gallery;
- an intro by Guillermo del Toro;
- “Zombie Wasteland,” interviews with McCulloch, Johnson, Cliver and actor/stuntman Ottaviano Dell’Acqua;
- “Flesh Eaters on Film,” an interview with co-producer Fabrizio De Angelis;
- “Deadtime Stories,” interviews with co-writers Elisa Briganti and (Uncredited) Dardano Sacchetti;
- “World of the Dead,” interviews with cinematographer Sergio Salvati and production and costume designer Walter Patriarca;
- “Zombi Italiano,” interviews with special make-up effects artists Gianetto De Rossi and Maurizio Trani and special effects artist Gino De Rossi;
- “Notes on a Headstone,” an interview with composer Fabio Frizzi;
- “All in the Family,” an interview with Antonella Fulci;
- “Zombie Lover,” in which award-winning filmmaker del Toro talks about one of his favorite films;
- and a collectible booklet, reversible sleeve and, for the first pressing only, lenticular slipcovers.