April 26, 2018
A 30th anniversary edition of the classic action film Die Hard is on the way from 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment.
The studio on May 15 will release an all-new 4K Ultra HD remaster as well as a regular Blu-ray Disc.
The 1988 film, which launched a five-film franchise, stars Bruce Willis as a New York City police officer who flies to Los Angeles on Christmas Eve to visit his wife at a party in her company’s elegant high-rise (the same Century City building that is now headquarters for 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment). A group of terrorists seize the building and take everyone hostage except for Willis, who must single-handedly save the day.
Fox also has partnered with Walmart to issue the Die Hard 5-Film Box Set, a steelbook-encased collection of all five “Die Hard” movies: the 1988 original, Die Hard 2 (1990), Die Hard with a Vengeance (1995), Live Free or Die Hard (2007) and A Good Day to Die Hard (2013). The five-film set is also due May 15 and will be available only at Walmart stores.
The Blu-ray Disc reissue features no new bonus content, just the same extras as on a previous release:
- Commentary by director John McTiernan and production designer Jackson DeGovia
- Scene-specific commentary by special effects supervisor Richard Edlund
- Subtitle commentary by various cast and crew members
- “The News Casts” featurette
- Interactive style gallery
- Interactive articles from Cinefex and American Cinematographer
- Full-length screenplay
- Trailers and TV spots